Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Alterra Coffee Bean Classic

Coming off what I felt was a very strong week of riding, I was excited for the Alterra Coffee Bean Classic WORS race. After a strong finish in the previous race, I had moved into the top five in series points, so I was entitled to a call up. This was something entirely new to me and I really didn't know what to do with it. In the end it really didn't change anything, though.

The race started well and I had a good charge up the initial climb and was sitting in about 10th spot. Still feeling good I passed about 7 other riders in spots I identified during my preride and was looking good going into the singletrack in 2nd or 3rd place. However, on a very bumpy section just before the singletrack, my chain jumped off my sprocket and despite playing with the shifter trying to bring the chain back on, it just wasn't happening. So I pulled out of the way and threw the chain back on and waited while a line of about 15 riders flew by. Needless to say, I had my work cut out for me.

So long story short I picked my way back into the top five while crashing 3 times in the process. But I felt pretty good most of the race. I felt like no one could pull away from me. I ended up with my second straight podium finish (4th place) and finished ahead of everyone that was ahead of me in series points.

Here is where things get a little weird. Despite beating every single rider that had more points than me going into the race, I actually dropped to 6th in series points after the race. So no call up for me in CamRock. It's just one of those things, I guess.

It doesn't take away my excitement for the next race. The 24 Hours of Wausau. Look for a blog entry on the event soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment