Thursday, September 22, 2011

If you want to lead, don’t follow (Treadfest)

Treadfest; Race #10 in the WORS lineup features a return to the Grand Geneva Resort in Lake Geneva, WI. This race is a very singletrack heavy race that also features a good amount of climbing (by WI standards anyway). The singetrack is fairly technical and was rendered even a little more difficult because it was very dry and dusty. A month of dry weather preceding the event made for some interesting racing conditions.

It was nice being called up to begin the race and actually being in the front row for a change was even better. The bad thing was that we were one of the last age groups to start. That means lots of traffic to deal with during the course of the race.

The the race started with 3 big climbs which is not really my specialty. So I sprinted out from the word go and led the race for about the first 100-150 feet before hitting the meat of the first climb. I decided not to kill myself on the first climb like I figured all the guys passing me were. I was sitting about midpack after the first climb and then commenced my normal operation of picking up spot on the subsequent climbs. In hindsight I should have pushed just a little bit harder as I went into the singletrack behind 2 riders that were really slowing me down and creating some separation between me and the leaders. The riders in front of me were kicking up so much dust, that I could not even see the trail right in front of me half the time. But that was to be the theme of the race.

Every time I passed a slower rider or group of slower riders, I immediately caught another. And on and on this cycle went until the end of the race. It was extremely annoying to say the least. I hope my age group does not have to start toward the end again.

There is one tactic I use every race that on a technical course like this was very helpful. Any time I find myself behind other riders especially in technical areas or difficult climbs, I always try to find a different line than what the rider in front of me is taking. Because more often than not, the rider in front of me won’t be able to clean the technical section or climb. I’ve found that I can either take an alternate line and gain position when the rider in front of me fails or be taken out of the saddle and loose time. Given the choice, I’ll take the latter.

This tactic helped me to a 4th place finish and close the gap on those who have been finishing ahead of me. I hope that by the end of the racing season I will be creeping my way up the podium. And one thing that continues to impress me is how the Airborne Goblin excels in so many different types of trail and terrain. The 29 inch wheels just continue to roll.

By the end I was exhausted and covered in what looks like cocoa power, but it's really dirt. I really like participating in the Treadfest event because it is one of those trails that are not available to be ridden at any other time. They just lay hidden away on a small ski hill in Lake Geneva waiting to be raced once a season as part of WORS. I'll see you trails again next year.

Next up is the Bear Paw Rock N Roll up near Langlade, WI. I can't wait to drive up through the beautifully wooded Menomonee Indian Reservation and ride on what are suppose to be on some of the most technical trails in the WORS line up.

No comments:

Post a Comment