Friday, September 9, 2011

Records were made to be broken

Billed as the world's friendliest rivalry, the WORS Border Battle, pits Wisconsin against Minnesota as they compete for bragging rights and a traveling trophy as part of this race. Wisconsin has captured the first two titles of this annual event, but every season the slate is cleaned off and new competition begins. Minnesota is ready for a rematch!

I've failed the last couple years to participate in this race despite my best intentions. I just couldn't bring myself to make the 8 plus hour round trip to River Falls, WI. But this year I had a few motivating factors to get me going. Not the least of which was the fact that WI had won the Border Battle in 2010 by only 1 point. I needed to go represent. Beyond that I had a podium streak going that I didn't want to break.

I had hoped that such a long trip would pay off with a great trail to race and ride. On that I was not disappointed. This definitely has to qualify as one of the best race course on the WORS circuit. With its roots and rocks; short, steep downhill and uphill sections; uphill switchbacks; grassy, wide open field sections; technical climbs; and a generous amount of flowing singletrack, the race was it's own reward. That being said, I did make the trip with the intent to perform the best I could not just enjoy the scenery.

So far this year, I've collected a few 4th and 5th place podium finishes in my class along with a number of top 20 overall finishes. But this course was such a great match for my strengths as a racer and rider I was hoping to do better.

Racing the Goblin I felt fast and strong for the entire race and ended with a 2nd place finish; my best finish since moving up to the Sport category at the end of last season. What was even more exciting was that I was in the top 10 overall. 2 more of those and I'll be a mandatory move up to the Comp category, which was a goal I laid out for myself at the end of last year. I'm not sure I'm 100% ready for that, but it's exciting to progress and see your goals being realized because of hard work.

This season has been going great, but I'm starting to get to the point where I just want to relax a bit and ride. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about the upcoming races, but I'm also ready to just take some trips and just explore new and fun ways to ride trail (which may or may not be the fastest way). Racing and riding the Goblin is a fantastic experience, but I find myself longing more and more for riding a dual suspension 26 inch bike in more of a free ride expression. Before you know it, it will be time to head indoors to Ray's MTB and start ripping it up on the Wingman again.

Speaking of the Wingman check out the latest video from Flight Crew members Brent Davidson and Kevin Bonney as the destroy the Mizzou Dual Slalom course on the Airborne Wingman.

And my latest offer featuring the Airborne Taka DH bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment